Driver in fatal bus crash appears in Prince George court

By: Michael Campbell | Twitter: @itsthesoup
Posted: April 6, 2019 | 12:30 p.m.

PRINCE GEORGE – Yui Man Chow, the driver of a charter bus that overturned in the county late last month, killing two and injuring dozens more, will remain in the Commonwealth until his next court date.

Chow made this first appearance in Prince George County General District Court following his arrest in connection with the early morning March crash along Interstate 95 at Exit 45, facing two counts of involuntary manslaughter related to the death of two passengers on the Massachusetts-based Tao’s Travel charter bus. 

At that appearance, he was released on his own recognizance ahead of a scheduled bond hearing for Monday, April 1. 

During his court appearance on March 25, Chow made no comments, but the judge required that the stay in Virginia and not return to Staten Island, New York, where he is listed as living. 

Virginia State Police investigators have yet to reveal the cause of the crash, noting that speed is considered a primary factor in the incident where Chow attempted to take the exit ramp at Exit 45 but the bus ended up overturning.

In addition, a misdemeanor charge of reckless driving, specifically bad brakes was added to Chow’s outstanding list of offenses. He is expected to have his first hearing on that charge on Monday, April 1, as well.

According to published reports, the first lawsuit following the crash has been filed in local courts. WTVR-TV reports Shivon Dollar-Moore has sued Tao’s Travel and two other entities for $10 million in damages in connection with the crash.

Court records show, following his April 1 appearance, the next day for Chow to return to Prince George County Courts is June 17 where he will have a preliminary hearing on the reckless driving charge and an adjudicatory hearing on the two involuntary manslaughter charges.

Copyright 2019 by Womack Publishing
Send Us Your News Tips or Report an Error

Leave a Reply