By: Contributed Report | Twitter: @PGJournal
Posted: May 22, 2019 | 12:30 p.m.
FORT LEE – Following significant changes this year that eased entry for thousands of visitors, Fort Lee is adjusting its gate and Visitor Control Center hours to improve access for post residents and military personnel.
Starting May 13, the A Avenue Gate will reopen to weekend traffic from 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. and the Mahone Avenue Gate will remain open eight more hours on weekends, operating from 8 a.m. – 11 p.m. The Lee Avenue Gate and adjacent VCC will be closed on weekends with reduced weekday hours of 5 a.m. – 8 p.m. for the gate and 7 a.m. – 6 p.m. for the VCC.
“In January, we began the transition to a 100-percent ID scan system at every access control point, which greatly reduced the foot traffic at our VCC,” said Fort Lee Provost Marshal and Director of Emergency Services Lt. Col. Joe Ward. “So, it makes sense to close Lee Avenue Gate and the VCC on weekends so we can open A Avenue Gate for our housing residents and extend the Mahone Avenue Gate hours for military personnel and families staying in the 1,000-room hotel.”
Ward noted that Fort Lee does not have the resources to operate all three gates on weekends and that the Sisisky Gate – which is open 24/7 – is just slightly more than a mile down the road from the Lee Avenue Gate.
The full gate schedule as of May 13 will be:
- Sisisky Boulevard: Always open
- Lee Avenue: 5 a.m. – 8 p.m., weekdays; closed weekends and federal holidays
- Mahone Avenue: 5 a.m. – 11 p.m., weekdays; 8 a.m. – 11 p.m., weekends and federal holidays
- A Avenue: 5 a.m. – 8 p.m., weekdays; 7 a.m. – 6 p.m., weekends and federal holidays
- Shop Road: 6 a.m. – 2 p.m., weekdays; closed weekends and federal holidays (commercial vehicle drivers without currently vetted credentials must use this gate)
- Temple Avenue: 4:30-8 a.m., weekdays; closed weekends and federal holidays
- Jackson Circle: Always open to staff, residents and authorized guests
Visitors requiring a background check – particularly those who may have derogatory information in their record – can pre-register online to expedite access to the installation. Those who pre-register can enter the post with their valid federal- or state-issued photo ID for up to one year. Visit https://home.army.mil/lee/index.php/access for more information or to register. Visitors who do not pre-register may be directed to the VCC for a background check.
Additionally, any commercial drivers who have been vetted and have a pass can enter through any gate – only those without currently vetted credentials must use the Shop Road Gate.