Contributed By: Percy Ashcraft, Prince George County Administrator
This message is a monthly update in 2017 to better update our citizens and visitors to the website. The information serves as a status report for ongoing projects, and also serves as a preview to different happenings that are in the planning stages.
The Board of Supervisors will hold its monthly meetings this month at 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 11 and Tuesday, April 25 in the Board Room of the County Administration Building. A worksession will precede the April 11 meeting at 6 p.m. The tentative agenda topics are: (1) Discussion of Open Burning Ordinance; (2) Discussion of new voting precinct for Jefferson Park & new voting machines; and (3) Discussion of construction of vehicle storage area behind Carson Fire Station.
The Board of Supervisors will hold a worksession on the FY ’18 Budget at 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 5.
‘Think Spring’ Annual Garage Sale will be held from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, April 1 at the Disputanta Ruritan Hall.
The Prince George Public School Division will hold a Bus Driver Jobs Fair from 9 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Saturday, April 1 at the School Board office.
A ‘Toddler Fair’ will be held from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, April 1 at Scott Park and Prince George Library.
A ‘Fashion Forever’ Fashion Show will be held at 6:30 p.m. Saturday, April 1 at the First Baptist Church in Disputanta.
“No Foolin Fun Paint Night” hosted by the PGHS PTA at the Appomattox Boat Harbor Saturday April 1 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Riverside Community Justice Board will hold its next meeting at 3 p.m. Wednesday, April 5 at the Surry Seafood Company in Surry County.
Fort Lee will kick off the Month of the Military Child at 3:30 p.m. Monday, April 3 at the Fort Lee Youth Center.
‘Farm Day’ for students in second grade will be held at 9 a.m. Tuesday, April 4 at the Bresco Farm.
‘Blueprint Virginia 2025’ will host a luncheon from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Tuesday, April 4 at the Hilton Garden Inn in Colonial Heights.
The Education Core Committee will host a Town Hall meeting on school facilities at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 4 at Moore Middle School.
The Public School Division will host a Transition Fair for students & families at Rowanty Technical Center from 9-10 a.m. Thursday, April 6.
Virginia Gateway Region will hold its Annual Meeting at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 6 at the Petersburg Country Club.
Prince George 4-H will host a ‘Spring Teen Fling’ April 7-9 at the Airfield 4-H Educational Center in Wakefield.
The Appomattox River Regional Park 5K Trail Run will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday, April 8.
Prince George Social Services Advisory Board will meet at 9 a.m. Monday, April 10 at the Social Services Department.
The Chief Local Elected Officials (CLEO) of the Workforce Investment Board will meet at 6 p.m. Monday, April 10 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
An ‘Intercept Youth Services Adoption Center Tour’ will be held at the Prince George Animal Services & Adoption Center from 9 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Tuesday, April 11.
The Extension Leadership Committee will meet at 12:00 Noon Tuesday, April 11 at the Prince George Library.
A ‘Drinking Water Clinic’ will be held at 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 12 at the Prince George Library.
The Police Department will take Coal the Therapy Dog to visit residents at Brighter Living at 1 p.m. Wednesday, April 12.
The Hopewell-Prince George Chamber of Commerce will host a reception from 8-9 a.m. Friday, April 14 at Rosa’s Italian Ristorante in Hopewell.
Free CPR Class on Saturday, April 15 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at The Disputanta Community Center.
‘Clean Community Day’ will be held from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m. Saturday, April 15 at the Police Department parking lot.
A ‘Hunter Safety Class’ will be held from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. Saturday, April 15 at the Parks & Recreation Community Center.
A ‘Pet Adoption Event’ will be held from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, April 15 at Boulevard Flowers in South Chesterfield.
Parks & Recreation will host its Annual Easter Egg Hunt at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 15 at Temple Park.
Swader’s Sports Park will host its Annual Eggstravaganza Celebration from 12:00 Noon – 4 p.m. Saturday, April 15.
The Prince George School Board will meet at 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 17 in the Board Room of the Administration Building.
Prince George Industrial Development Authority will meet at 12:00 Noon Wednesday, April 19 in the Community Room of the Human Services Building.
The Prince George Fire & EMS Advisory Committee will meet at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 20 in the Board Room.
Parks & Recreation will host the Annual Kite Festival from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Saturday, April 22 at Temple Park.
Opening Day ceremonies for Parks & Recreation’s Youth Baseball & Softball will be held at 9 a.m. Saturday, April 22 at Moore Recreational Complex.
Sports Tourism returns to Prince George County on April 22-23 with the ‘Quest for the Best’ Baseball Tournament being played from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. daily at various Prince George County fields.
The James House will hold a fundraiser from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. April 22-23 at the Uptown Alley in Midlothian.
Prince George TRIAD & Prince George Police Department will host a ‘Senior Resource Fair’ from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. April 24 at Unity Baptist Church.
The Planning Commission will meet at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 27 in the Board Room.
The Riverside Criminal Justice Agency will host its Annual Job Fair from 9 a.m. – 12:00 Noon Friday, April 28 at the Hopewell Community Center.
The Police Department will host ‘Drug Take Back Day’ from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Saturday, April 29 in the Police Parking Lot.
The Burrowsville Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary will host a Spaghetti Dinner from 4-7 p.m. Saturday, April 29 at the Burrowsville Volunteer Fire Department.
A concert featuring ‘No One Hero & The Dirty Runaways’ will be held beginning at 5 p.m. Saturday, April 29 at the Appomattox Boat Harbor.
Here is a capsule glance of other activities that will be happening within County government during the month of April:
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 11 meeting will receive four (3) reports: (1) VDOT; (2) Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC); (3) Farmers Market; and (4) Fire & EMS staffing at the new Tri-Cities Emergency Department.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 11 meeting will discuss setting of rates for employee health insurance plan.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 11 meeting will discuss a wastewater contract with Luca Italian Restaurant.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 11 meeting will discuss a water agreement with Star Express.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 11 meeting will consider four public hearings: (1) VDOT Secondary Six-Year Plan; (2) Conveyance of Easements to Dominion Power at Scott Park; and (3) Establishment of 2017 Tax Levies for Real Property, Tangible Personal Property, Mobile Homes and Machinery & Tools; and (4) Adjustment in Utility Rates.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 25 meeting will receive reports on the Toddler Fair and the Quarterly Financial.
- The Board of Supervisors at its April 25 meeting will consider two public hearings: (1) Establishment of Solar Energy ordinance; and (2) The FY ’18 Budget.
- Various Parks & Recreation spring activities are underway and registration is being prepared for various summer/fall programs. Registration can be accepted at www. http://www.princegeorgecountyva.gov.
- Construction of improvements at Exit 45 will continue this month.
- County Staff will be seeking to finalize the hiring of a consultant for a new public safety radio system.
- County Staff is preparing the ‘Fitness Room’ for opening in the near future at the Central Wellness Center.
- The County is currently seeking residents and businesses to participate in the 2017 Citizens Academy. Contact email@example.com to express interest.
- City of Hopewell and Prince George County subdivisions of Birchett Estates, Cedar Creek, Cedar Creek West and Strattford Woods: The treatment change occurred April 18 to April 21 and flushing began April 21 and will continue through June 7.
Follow the Daily Headlines on our main page at www.princegeorgecountyva.gov/ or by clicking on our Twitter, Facebook and/or Tumblr pages for other government news and notices.
Contributed by Prince George County Administration Office